Vietnamese Rice Paper Rolls with Beef (Goi Cuon) and Peanut Dipping Sauce
1⁄2 kg of quality Eye Fillet
1⁄2 Brown Onion
2 teaspoons Sesame Seeds
1 teaspoon Soy Sauce
1 tablespoon Butter
1 teaspoon Sesame Oil
Vermicelli Noodles (4 pallets)
22” Large Rice Paper
Lettuce, about half a bunch
Mixture of Asian herbs such as Vietnamese Mint, Thai basil, Perilla, Mint, Coriander
2 cups Bean Sprouts
2 Cucumbers, thinly sliced
1 Carrot, finely Julienne
Optional 1⁄2 kg Pork Belly, Ginger or 1⁄2 kg cooked Tiger Prawns, shelled, de-veined and sliced in half or 1⁄2 kg Chicken Spring Onion or 4 Chives Leaves (Optional)
In a bowl beat the eggs well and make very thin omelettes. Slice into long thin strips and place into a bowl.
In a bowl, marinate finely sliced Eye Fillet with the Soy Sauce and Sesame Oil then add the Sesame Seeds. Leave to marinate in the fridge while preparing the other ingredients.
OR Instead of marinating beef, prepare chicken in the same way.
OR Peel the prawns, de-vein and slightly blanch them in boiling water for a minute. Cut them in half through the middle of the body.
OR In a pot with ginger, Boil Pork Belly. Slice finely and place onto a plate or into a bowl.
3. Boil the vermicelli noodles until soft and strain. Place them onto a plate.
4. Wash and prepare all the herbs and lettuce, and put into large serving plates.
5. When ready to eat, put a bowl of warm water on the table.
6. Take the beef out of the fridge and place a fry pan on high heat. Melt the butter and brown the onion. Add the beef to cook. Place the beef when ready into a bowl.
7. To prepare the rolls, get a sheet of rice paper, dip it in the warm water and take out immediately. Do not let it soak.
8. Place the rice paper on a plate, and place the lettuce down first slightly towards the bottom half of the Rice Paper.
9. Place 5 cooked beef slices on top of the lettuce.
10. Place the vermicelli, egg strips, vegetables, herbs and bean sprouts on top of the lettuce.
11. Fold bottom section closest to you over the ingredients, fold both sides to seal in the sides and then continue to roll until made a complete roll.
Eat immediately after rolling.
Place Prawns, Chive Leaf/Spring Onion Leaves first for visual appeal. Do not put too many ingredients in the paper roll, or your wraps will explode!!!
I add toasted sesame seeds and crushed peanuts for extra taste and texture.