Banh Xeo – Vietnamese Sizzling Crepe
Batter Ingredients – makes 10 crepes
2 ½ cup Rice Flour (Erawan Brand)
2 cups icy cold water
1 x 60g egg
1 Tablespoons turmeric powder
2 Tablespoons oil
3 spring onion, chopped
Place all batter ingredients in a bowl and stir until well combined. Refrigerate batter whilst preparing other ingredients.
250g pork neck, thinly sliced
2 onions, thinly sliced
1 cup mung beans, cooked
1 kg bean sprout
Mint, Basil, coriander, shiso
Vietnamese Dipping Sauce
6 Tablespoons fish sauce (Squid Brand)
7 Tablespoons lemon juice
7 Tabespoons water (cool boiled water)
4 tablespoonful sugar
1 clove garlic
Place garlic, chillies, 4 tablespoons of sugar in mortar. Pound mixture into a paste.
Add 6 tablespoons of fish sauce, 7 tablespoons of lemon/lime juice, 7 tablespoons of water. Stir until the sugar dissolves
1. Heat non stick frying pan on medium high with 2 Tablespoons oil. Add a small handful of pork and sliced onion and cook slightly. Then spread them evenly around the pan.
2. Mix the batter thoroughly and scoop btw ½ - ¾ cup of the batter and pour into pan, swirling batter around to spread thinly around the whole pan.
3. Reduce heat to medium low, add mung bean, beanshoots and cover with lid.
4. Once the batter is clear, remove lid and keep turning the pan to get even heat distribution to crisp up the edges. Drizzle oil around the side of frying pan to get the crispy outcome.
5. Slightly lift pancake to check that the bottom is golden and crispy.
6. Fold pancake in half and remove onto plate and serve with salad condiments and fish sauce